Mexico

Does getting bone grafts on the alveolar ridge have any risks? would be getting them to be able to do orthodontic work to expand the arches as much as possible without risking pushing the teeth out of the bone. thanks?

Dr. John Mcmahan
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 48 years experience
There are risks and benefits to every surgery... discuss the details with your surgeon.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
I have never heard of adding bone to the buccal alveolar ridge prior to orthodontic tx. Without knowing your malocclusion or what the standard of care is in Mexico, it is hard to advise you. I certainly don't claim to know everything, so that is why my advice to you is to work with a orthodontic/oral surgeon team and get a second opinion. Your proposal sounds painful, costly and unpredictable.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Although this is not a routine procedure it is done sometimes for specific reasons by Orthodontist/Oral Surgeon or Orthodontist/Periodontist team. In order to support alveolar bone there must be adequate basal bone. That's a decision to be made by a fully qualified Orthodontic specialist. If tooth size greater than bone size, better solution might be to reduce tooth material. Seek 2nd opinion.

Last updated Mar 6, 2021