U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 27-year-old female asked:

I was diagnosed with exophoria in my left eye, if i get treatment for this, will the upclose double vision and focusing on the background when reading anything go away, will i have this condition for life and have to manage it, and is it genetic?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Philip Schwarzman
Emergency Medicine 46 years experience
This was answered.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Stan Coleman
Ophthalmology 65 years experience
You should see an ophthalmologist to evaluate what should be done to make you more comfortable vision wise.
Mar 6, 2021
Dr. Silvana Yovanof
A US doctor answeredLearn more
While exotropia can be inherited, it can also be congenital, or acquired leading to misaligned movements of the eyes with one or both eyes moving outward away from the nose. Ocular muscle weakness, visual defects and neurologic deficits are among its causes. An ophthalmologist can better examine you and discuss the appropriate treatment options in your particular case.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 7, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.