i have an overbite that causes a weak jawline. would i really need to get jaw surgery or could a chin implant be an option instead to fix my jawline, even though it wouldnt fix my bite?

Dr. John Sheets
Dentistry 33 years experience
Orthodontist eval: The expert to consult with should be an orthodontist. They use pictures and X-rays to evaluate the jaw bones and the bite. By viewing these diagnostic tools, they can advise and give an opinion of what treatment would be most beneficial.
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod commented
Prosthodontics 49 years experience
This is the correct answer for sure. See an orthodontist who works with a team of specialists treating this type of jaw irregularity regularly. If surgery is recommended you really need experts.
Jan 23, 2021
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Chin Implant: Only cosmetic, will have no effect on your occlusion or overbite. You really need to be evaluated by an orthodontist.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Weak chin: Chin implants have proven to be an unstable procedure as if the overall jaw malrelationship is not corrected, the implant partially resorbs. Please seek evaluation by a competent specialist Orthodontist. Collaboration with a specialist Oral Surgeon may be required to provide you with a stable, functional, and esthetic result.