Pooler, GA

I punched a woden shelf with my right hand when i lost my temper and my middle finger knuckle is swollen snd i can't squeeze my hand. what happened?

Dr. Kenneth Merriman
Orthopedic Surgery 49 years experience
Bad idea: We generally call this "testosterone poisoning disease" although female do occasionally do it too probably broke it / the common one is the little finger knuckle which is usually not too big a deal /unfortunately the middle finger is usually worse / go get it checked out it needs an xray.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Chad Zooker
Sports Medicine 19 years experience
Possible broken bone: Punching hard objects such as wooden shelves can cause fractures (breaks) of the metacarpal bones in the hand. This is the bone leading towards the first knuckle on your hand when you make a fist. You should ice the knuckle and elevate the hand to decrease swelling and be seen in an urgent care center, er, or orhopaedic surgeon's office to have your hand examined and xrays of the hand performed.
Dr. Alex Meyers
Hand Surgery 27 years experience
Hand trauma: It's hard to say. There certainly could be a fracture and x-ray would be advised.
Dr. Mark Einbecker
Hand Surgery 38 years experience
Don't know: I would get an x-ray soon to see if you broke it.
You might also want to get help with your anger issues.
May 14, 2013
Last updated Sep 28, 2016