My question is there is this fainted black vertical line or streak on my right second toenail next to my big toe. i'm currently a little obese and have signs around my body that show it. i'm a 16 hispanic female and around 120lbs?

Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
Podiatry 23 years experience
Get it checked: A faint black vertical line or streak on a toenail can be a warning sign of a more serious condition. This needs to be evaluated because cancers of the nail can present themselves like this. A nail biopsy is the only way to determine this. Go get this checked. It is not always just a bruise.
Dr. Michael Amster
Specializes in Pediatrics
It depends: Sometimes the vertical black line can be a normal artifact and is something that happens, sometimes after a viral illness or inflammatory issue. However there are some inflammatory disorders and a few serious conditions where a black vertical nail line is one of the signs. Dermatology should have a look just to make sure.

Last updated Nov 21, 2020