India

Does typhoid affects the digestive system especially large intestine ? because i've typhoid not severe but little and after eating meal my stomach swells and also my bowel movements aren't regular. feels like my stomach is full any treatment?

Dr. Yvette Kratzberg
See a Dr.: Typhoid is a bacterial infection that can lead to a high fever, diarrhea, and vomiting. It can be fatal. It is caused by the bacteria Salmonella typhi. The infection is often passed on through contaminated food and drinking water, and it is more prevalent in places where handwashing is less frequent. Your symptoms of bloating and irregular bowel movements may be several things. See a Dr.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Pathology 51 years experience
Ileum: Typhoid affects the lower part of small intestine. Unless you are living in unsanitary conditions, it is unlikely that you have typhoid. It would be prudent to see your doctor. Have a healthy diet, exercise 30 minutes/day, drink plenty of water, have safe sex, no tobacco alcohol weed or street drugs. For nutrition: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/. Get HPV vaccine. Wish you good health!
Yes: The condition is triggered by the germ salmonella typhimurium that infects the large intestine. It causes injury to the intestinal membranes & elaborates a toxin that causes additional symptoms. You will have some additional poor absorption for a period of time until the gut heals. If confirmed antibiotics may/may not be treated since abx can prolong germ carriage in your gut.
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Parkanswered
Not typhoid: The description you provided suggests nontyphoidal gastroenteritis which affects distal small bowel as well as large bowel. Stool culture is needed to positively identify the causative organism. Consult your Primary care provider!
Last updated Sep 5, 2020