Youngstown, OH

My daughter pt eval said her tibias were bowed and pt probably wont help but bracing will. ortho won't see her. what does this mean and what do we do?

Dr. Michael Amster
Specializes in Pediatrics
Why not? : Why won't ortho see her? If there's an insurance issue, then fix it. If it's just going to be awhile, talk to your pediatrician to see if that's an acceptable time to wait. The pt cannot order the braces, but somebody has to offer an expert opinion. If the ortho feels it doesn't need to be braced, then they may be right. A little bowing is normal in infants, but not older children.
Dr. Aruna Adaikkalam
Also need to r/o conditions like rickets from vitamin D deficiency need to be ruled out. Did you consult her pediatrician to r/o things like rickets. She may not have nutritional deficinecy but a condition congenital rickets due to kidney involvement need to be ruled out. In ricketsd usually knock knees occur but bowing of the legs can happen sometimes. Similalry conditions with weakbones -osteomalacia can cause bowing of the legs.Before going to physical therapy r/o treatable as well as genetically acquired conditions.
Apr 17, 2013
Dr. Michael Amster
Specializes in Pediatrics
Provided original answer
I guess the question is, who said the tibias were bowed to begin with? If it was the Peds, they can do some of this ruling out. If it was grandma, get it checked by an expert.
Apr 17, 2013
Last updated Sep 9, 2014