ZA

hi doc i just want to know if i should go test for covid-19 as my colleague just phone me to inform that she testing positive. my last contact with her was on the 23 june ( last week tuesday).

Dr. Deborah Ungerleider
Yes, you should: be tested.Although a negative test does not rule out you having COVID,as the incubation period(time from exposure to time of positivity)can be up to 2 weeks,it can help if you are positive and need to be isolated and have contacts of yours tested.Alternatively, you should quarantine for 14 days if that is possible, especially if testing is not available to you.Also,discuss with your doctor.
Dr. Vera Barnard
Specializes in
There is a huge backlog and requests from all private laboratories not to test asymptomatic persons. It is not right that sick patients with co-morbidities have to wait several days for their results because we are sending asymptomatic patients for testing.
Jul 4, 2020
Dr. Vera Barnard
Specializes in
No: Just complete the 14 days isolation period, then you can go back to work. If you develop any symptoms during this period, contact your doctor to discuss your symptoms and medical background, You will then be advised what to do. In the coming months you will probably have contact with this virus several times. Try to be safe - you should know all the rules.
Dr. Wendy ann Dicks
Specializes in Aesthetic Medicine
Covid contact : Hi there , if you have no symptoms then no don’t get tested just be cautious. And remember if it was a close contact ie closer than 2m and closed space and no mask wearing then it’d more likely , but otherwise if you use the social distancing rules and sanitizing then your chances are always less but do shield yourself from people x 14d if you had a close contact , hope this helps , kind regards