I have an immune system problem affected my lungs. i am on treatment with azathioprine and medrol. my latest fbc show my mvc and leukocytes levels to be above the normal range. i am chronically fatigued, bruise and bleed easily. b12 ?

Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Typical side effects: While B12 deficiency cannot be ruled out, your symptoms are commonly seen as side effects to the drugs you have been taking. Azathioprine may cause macrocytosis or increased MCV, while long term steroids may cause all the other symptoms that you mentioned. Would suggest a visit with your pulmonary doc to have a thorough discussion about risks/ benefits and have meds adjusted as needed.
Pathology 49 years experience
Need to examine: All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Talk to the doctor who ordered the tests. Having said that, B12 deficiency by itself would not explain your symptoms. Wish you good health!

Last updated Jun 3, 2020