Stepped on sewing needle found on carpet sun night. as of today, wed its a bit red & swollen but i can walk on foot a bit better then in previous days. scared to go to my doc as i dont want to bring covid to my home have elderly at home. pls help

Dr. Anne Bosshardt
See below: I understand your reluctance to go out - if your foot continues to improve , then it probably is not infected - if it gets worse, or you develop any signs of infection -fever, chills - you should see a doctor - you might a an infection that needs antibiotics- Also , if you have not had a tetanus shot in the last ten years, you should get one -take care of yourself also
Red & swollen: When was your last tetanus shot? Any warmth in area or drainage? Consider telemedicine evaluation with your physician. If it has been more than ten years since your last tetanus shot- it would be worth getting this. You may have an infection that requires treatment.

Last updated May 22, 2020