how does chorioamnionitis cause preterm birth? isn’t the fetus protected my the amniotic sac and the mucus plug so that bacteria won’t make its way up to the uterus and the membranes?

45 years experience Pediatrics
Definition: By usual definition chorioamnionitis germs enter from below. Microscopic leaks can occur in those membranes for a variety of reasons, including the fetal fingers/toes raking past/tearing the membrane. This can result in unrecognized leaking of amniotic fluid.If it leaks out germs can get in & the irritation triggers labor. Leaks dissolve any plug.
Answered on Mar 20, 2020