ZA

i have been in close contact with someone who has been in italy recently. they displayed mild flu like symptoms but have since recovered. i have also felt very mild flu like symptoms. do i need to be tested for covid-19?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Stay at home, test: Stay at home for 14 days after the contact. Monitor for fever, dry cough, shortness of breath. Arrange testing by contacting your medical center or physician. Drink fluids, rest and self isolate. You may have developed a mild case of COVID-19. Most individuals recover with time and symptomatic treatment.
Policy South Africa?: Your question is fielded from Dr.’s in a variety of areas – mostly the US. I don’t know specific info on COVID 19 management in South Africa. I refer you to a site recommended by the South African National Department of Health (NDoH). By typing in Hi plus 123456 on WhatsApp it will connect you to Corona Virus Connect that has WHO general information & which may be more pertinent to your location.
Dr. William Tamparo
Yes: Yes it is a good idea. sometimes Covid 19 and flu (and other common cold virus) could share similar symptoms.