For several nights i woke up with numbness in my left hand. the numbness in my fingers goes away during the day, but i have feeling of numbness/tightness in my upper left arm and overall weakness in my left arm to my hand. what could it be? stroke?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Pinched nerve: It sounds more, based on pattern, as a compressed nerve. It can be at the cervical spine level, shoulder or even carpal tunnel which would be wrist. Starting with an exam with your doc should help and determining the cause of your symptoms. Stroke does not appear likely at this point.

Answered 3/16/2020

92 views

Dr. Brad Goldenberg answered

Specializes in Neonatology

Not stroke: This is positional, and is directly related to where the pressure on your hand/arm is during sleep. Experiment with different sleeping positions to see what is best

Answered 3/16/2020

92 views