A 42-year-old female asked:
Hi. my daughter got stung by a bee yesterday on her hand. this morning her hand was swollen, warm to the touch and itchy. gave her allergex. she says now her hand is numb. the finger is still swollen. should i be concerned? or continue with allergex?
1 doctor answer • 1 doctor weighed in
Dr. James Fergusonanswered
Pediatrics 48 years experience
Arthus reaction: This sounds like a classical arthus reaction to the sting.It is not the scary dangerous bee sting reaction, but represents a protective response.The body turns local capillaries into soaker hoses that flood the area with serum to dilute the bite toxins.That slows/dilutes the effect on the body.The swelling can take days to fade/itch/be warm.Allergex may help the itch but won't change the timetable
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
107 viewsAnswered >2 years ago
Last updated Oct 8, 2020
People also asked
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.