South Africa

at what age does growth pain start? my little one wakes up in the middle of the night crying in pain that her legs are sore. but only her legs. can it be growth pains at 2 years and 2 months of age?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Possible : An appointment with your pediatrician is suggested. Growth pains are one possible cause but other causes of inflamed muscles and a possible sprain or fracture should be evaluated.Motrinmay be used with heat applied locally to relieve musculoskeletal pain.
Worrisome: Growth pains are the common lay term more appropriate for overuse/fatigue pain in active kids. It is usually in the upper legs & happens in the evening before they go to sleep. Any pain that wakes them from deep sleep is worrisome or other medical issues. I would schedule a visit to review the symptoms & have a good exam.

Last updated Nov 2, 2019