United Kingdom

prescribed 500g clarithromycin twice daily for otitis media. (i have had the infection 6 weeks &amoxicillin has failed).im having unpleasant side effects-do you think it is possible to reduce dose to 250g? i am very small and slight if that matters!

Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 40 years experience
Otitis media: The recommended dosage of clarithromycin to treat this condition is 500mg twice a day for adults of whatever size as prescribed by your doctor, reducing the dose might not be as effective or may take longer to treat the infection, and may not reduce the side effects too. Hopefully you aren't taking it on an empty stomach. It is worthwhile call g your prescriber for further directions,wish you well