stopped 20 mg of prozac about a week ago and noticed my stomach is upset and appears distended with ibs-like symptoms. is this a normal reaction? will this dissipate?

Dr. Lawrence Dunn
37 years experience Psychiatry
Not abnorma: Your gut has a nervous system that is separate from, but connected to the brain. Prozac modifies serotonin signaling in the gut, just as it does in the brain. When stopped, the gut can have withdrawal effects. These are usually mild enough to escape notice. You appear to be having an unusually strong withdrawal effect. I would expect this to resolve in a few more days to weeks.
Answered on Aug 20, 2019
1