Is florastor probiotic good for maintenance of ibs related symptoms? also, by it being a yeast, is it safe for someone who has been in remission from c.diff colitis? lastly, when taking florastor, is it normal to have stomach rumbling and extra gas if you

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Stephen Southard answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Not great data: For most probiotics and IBS and/or in the use of c.diff. It's not likely to harm you and may even help you, as everyone's body responds differently and has a different natural gut flora(bugs in the gut). You can always use it for 4-6 weeks and see how you feel. If you feel better and it's not costing you too much then no big deal and if it doesn't help consider stopping it.

Answered 11/11/2014

3.6k views

Probiotics: Probiotics are helpful in restoring the normal bowel flora especially after any infection in the bowel. Use of antibiotics will wipe out the normal flora of the bowel and will take a while to rebuild on it's own. The probiotics will help. Some people may get gas if some of the bacteria in the florstor you may be intolerant to. You may want to try align which is over the counter or just lactobacill

Answered 11/11/2014

3.6k views

Bacteria not yeast: Florastor is a probiotic. It may be helpful in IBS for some people so it is worth a try. Probiotics are bacteria not yeast and may be helpful to return the gut bacteria back to normal after C. diff. Please resubmit last part of question as it was cut off.

Answered 9/28/2016

3.6k views

Dr. Dominic Riganotti answered

Specializes in Infectious Disease

Microflora: OK..a lot of questions here. Yes, Florastor is my personal favorite probiotic. I do not believe there is a proper study looking at IBS and Florastor yet. It is totally safe for those in remission for Cdiff. I see dozens of cases a year in my office. The only way I could imagine extra gas is the proliferation of the microbes...but it will not be immediately upon taking the pill.

Answered 11/11/2014

3.6k views

Dr. David Lipkin answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Safe: Florastor contains the yeast Saccharomyces boulardii.y. This yeast is the only probiotic with strong evidence it can prevent C.diff colitis. It also is effective, along with the bacteria Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, in preventing non-C.diff antibiotic related diarrhea. If a person is in remission from C.diff colitis it is recommended, especially if you have to take an antibiotic again.

Answered 11/24/2015

3.6k views