A 24-year-old male asked:

I twisted my ankle quite badly but there are no fractures (as shown in x rays). i am wondering whether i should still see an orthopedic surgeon?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alonso Morales Medina
Dr. Alonso Morales Medinaanswered
Specializes in Medicina Interna
Up to your evolution: Ankle sprain usually only require RICE (rest for 2 weeks, ice, compression and elevation). However, a specialized doctor should have evaluated your X ray. If you are confidant in your doctor, and are also getting better, you might continue to improve without further evaluation.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Daniela Torres
Dr. Daniela Torresanswered
Specializes in Medicina General
Sprain Ankle. : Hi:) Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort, use an ice pack or ice slush bath immediately for 15 to 20 minutes and repeat every two to three hours while you're awake, to help stop swelling, compress the ankle with an elastic bandage until the swelling stops, and elevate :) In most cases, over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen (Advil) are enough to manage the pain
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 6, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.