Atlanta, GA

sometimes the back of my thigh goes numb and tingly and this feeling shoots down the back of my thigh. what causes this?

Dr. Shane Parmer
Vascular Surgery 23 years experience
Some Nerve: Most likely this relates to compression of the sciatic nerve or its roots in the lumbar portion of the spinal cord. It is a fairly common "non-vascular" problem and depending on the severitly may require further evaluation and treatment.
Dr. Ian Stein
Neurology 21 years experience
Lower back: It may be coming dom the lower back. Either a disc or compression at the sciatic notch.
Dr. Ted King
A rare cause: There is a vein that travels down the back of the thigh next to the sciatic nerve called the sciatic vein. The sciatic vein closes before birth in most people but, on occasion, that vein will stay open and become a varicose vein that you can't see. If they don't find disc trouble, it might be worthwhile to get an ultrasound of the deep veins in the back of your thigh.
Dr. Ted King
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
You're welcome. Good luck!
Apr 14, 2012