i took adderall for a few weeks and i found out yesterday i am pregnant. is my unborn effected? how long will it stay in my system to be detected?

3 doctor answers
Dr. John Berryman
53 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Adderall ?: Adderall is an amphetamine, and is not safe in pregnancy, heart disease, hypertension and other conditions. Adderall can cause withdrawal and low birth weight in newborns. Consult your OB provider for an assessment of the dose taken, and the possible effects, but stop taking the medication while pregnant.
Answered on Jul 14, 2019
1
45 years experience Pediatrics
Depends: There are no controlled studies for use during pregnancy but animal studies show no adverse events. If taken in the second trimester and beyond I can find evidence of any drug used in the baby if I have reason to look. It will be out of your system within days.
Answered on Jul 31, 2019
Dr. David Rosenfeld
26 years experience Pain Management
Discuss with your OB: If you're asking “can you take Adderall when pregnant,” the simplest answer is no. ... Some of the specific risks of Adderall during pregnancy can include premature birth, low birth weight, and having an infant born going through withdrawal because they became physically dependent on the drug during pregnancy.
Answered on Jul 23, 2019