Dallas, TX

75 year old mom diagnosed stage 1 breast cancer, her2+ in may 2017. mastectomy in july, then completed 12 weeks of taxol & herceptin. dr wants to continue herceptin 9 more months. she was very depleted from first treatments, not sure to continue?

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Tough call: Chemotherapy is very debilitating. Many patients are unable to continue with a 2nd course of chemotherapy if their white blood cells or platelets are too low or they are "wiped out". Ask your Mom's Oncologist (MD) if the data in the research literature supports an additional 9 months of chemoRx vis a vis an increase or decrease in the 5 year survival rate for stage I breast cancer.
Dr. Devon Webster
Medical Oncology 22 years experience
Benefit is marginal: Herceptin alone is MUCH easier than the chemotherapy, so I wouldn't stop it because of her chemo experience. The side effects from Herceptin are very mild, if any. There is some risk of temporary decrease in heart function. However, for stage I disease, and depending on your mom's other health problems, there may not be a huge benefit to completing a year of Herceptin. Ask her oncologist.

Last updated Apr 29, 2020