Lake Oswego, OR

Hello, my husband was just diagnosed with sleep apnea. however my daughter had the same symptoms (snoring, periodic paused breathing) and they found that she had enlarged adenoids and tonsils. they did surgery to remove them and she's been fine ever sin

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Physician visit: The sleep study will indicate the degree and possible cause of apnea. Your sleep physician will help you to determine the cause and treatment. Some options may include non invasive ventilation.
It happens: The issue of sleep apnea from obstruction (tonsils/adenoids) in children differs from that in adults. With kids, if they snore/pause breathing>30 sec around the age of 3-5 it is common for the snoring/pause worsen if untreated & resolve completely after a T/A. This does not mean she will have adult sleep apnea.

Last updated Oct 26, 2018