U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 40-year-old female asked:

Do i need to see a doctor for medication for a yeast infection or is the medication available over the counter?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 41 years experience
OTC yeast meds: are available in the form of creams or vaginal suppositories, ask the pharmacist about them, if no improvement, you may want to see your doctor for prescription strength medications after evaluation, best wishes

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 32-year-old member asked:

Do I need to see my doctor if I think I have a yeast infection?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stephen Pappachen
Obstetrics and Gynecology 23 years experience
Yes: At least let him/her know your concerns.
A 35-year-old member asked:

What do doctors think is the top over-the-counter medication for a yeast infection?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Some options: I don't am not venturing a guess on this but, here are some products that are good for tx of yeast. Over- the- counter medicines for yeast infections include: micon 7, monistat, vagistat, (tioconazole) gynazole, femcare, gyne-lotrimin& mycelex.
A 22-year-old male asked:

What kind of doctor should I see about a recurring yeast infection?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Vance Harris
Family Medicine 38 years experience
See your family doc: Your family doctor should be able to take care of this. If you have a gynecologist they would also be able to help you. This is a fairly common complaint.
A 41-year-old member asked:

I think I have a yeast infection but i don't want to see the doctor. What can I do?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine 30 years experience
OTC: There are over-the-counter yeast creams that are safe and mostlt effective - if you are 100% certain it's a yeast infection. If you've had them before and you're sure, you can try Monistat or an otc cream. If you've never had one and are 'guessing, ' got to the doctor anyway!
Last updated Jun 20, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.