U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Washington, DC
A 17-year-old female asked:

I am experiencing suicidal thoughts, feeling depressed (quality: feelings of despair, feelings of worthlessness, feeling smothered) and trouble sleeping (worsened by: psychological stress, varying sleep schedule) (quality: difficult to wake, difficulty

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 34 years experience
Help is available: A person who has suicidal ideations (thoughts or plans), attempts, or gestures needs medical evaluation and treatment right away. The recommended way to get treatment is to visit an emergency room, by ambulance or by having a companion drive. In the US, the emergency phone number for an ambulance is 911. One can also find suicide prevention hotline numbers online, for her local area.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Judith Tellerman
Clinical Psychology 43 years experience
DEPRESSION: If your suicidal thoughts become plans please go to the ER. Otherwise have a physical exam to rule out a physical problem. Please consult with a Clinical Psychologist for psychotherapy to help you with ZOOM.com sessions. Research indicates with psychotherapy you can change & find better coping mechanisms. If there is a biological reason you are depressed please see a Psychiatrist for medication.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 30, 2020

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.