ZA

my ankle is currently swollen. should i see a gp first or can i go directly to the physiotherapist?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
GP first: There are many possible causes of ankle swelling, with different treatments. Some causes might be harmed by physical therapy. See your GP first, or at least speak with her about the details of your symptoms.
Hard to say: At least in the many states in the USA a physical therapist is not allowed to see patients without a prior physician evaluation and referral. This assures that the patient does not have in injury or other medical problem that will be aggravated by therapy. How this works where you live is unknown to us.