Can having a thumb injury also cause numbness in that upper arm?

Dr. Raymond Raven
Hand Surgery 25 years experience
Unlikely: All though injuries to the hand fingers and thumb can cause localized numbness, it is unlikely for a thumb injury to cause numbness in the upper arm. If symptoms persist, see your doctor or hand specialists for an evaluation.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 36 years experience
A thumb injury: May ne associated with local nerve issues but is unlilkey to cause upper arm numbness. Howevert if the mechanism of injury was a fall or a torquing injury to the hand, other unrelated injuries can occur. If the onset of both issues occurred at the same time be sure that both items, the thumb and the upper arm are checked.