Branchland, WV

on my microscopic urinalysis i had 7-12 hpf rbc, 0-2 hpf wbc, 1 hpf bacteria, 3-6 hpf squamous epithelial cells. i am 58 yr old. should i worry?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
Normal, contaminated: You don't have a urinary tract infection. However, epithelial cells mean it was not a clean urine specimen: it was contaminated by contact with labia or vaginal fluid. Therefore, the WBC and bacteria are meaningless, and the scant blood (RBC) isn't necessarily from the urinary tract. Depending on symptoms and reason for the urinalysis, it may need to be repeated; ask your doctor.