My boyfriend of yrs gets a cold sore on his lip every now & then, I haven't kissed him in 5 yrs worried about getting it. should I be? is it safe?tyvm

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience in Infectious Disease
Low risk, no worry: Since you're 51, there's at least 60-70% chance you already have HSV type 1, the cause of oral herpes. If so, you're immune to new infection and there is no risk at all. Talk to your doctor about a blood test to check it out. In meantime, or if HSV1 test negative, avoid kissing him when he has an outbreak. Still some risk, but quite low; and there's effective Rx if you get it and start Rx early,
Answered on Feb 28, 2018
1