HELP PLEASE...I found out that I'm HIV+ after birth. They gave the baby Nevirapine. Is she protected from the virus? she won't be infected?

Dr. Victor Nwanguma
19 years experience in Infectious Disease
HIV: The chances of an untreated HIV positive mother to transmit HIV infection to her newborn baby is very high. Nevirapine (usually with other medications) was given to reduce that chances of your baby becoming infected. There is still a small risk that your baby may be infected despite the medicine. BUT I hope your baby will be in that category where the medicine will protect her from the virus
Answered on Jul 3, 2018
1