mom fractured ankle:her fibula and tibia.she is 64 and had surgery.at her age,will she be able to heal back to normal and be able to walk like before?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Craig Lum
Dr. Craig Lum answered
24 years experience General Surgery
Mom with fx: Pending on what co-morbidities she may have, she may heal well and be able to walk like before, but no guarantees. If physical therapy/occupational therapy is offered, do have your mom accept them. It will help her.
Answered on May 21, 2018
1
Dr. Randy Bernstein
36 years experience Podiatry
64 is not "old": 64 y/o is not "old"! I'm 63y/o and yes, if she is healthy, with no underlying problems like: diabetes, poor circulation, long time cigarette smoker, or cancers, she should recover and be able to do everything she was doing before injury. Be patient, it does take time to heal. I broke my Tibia and Fibula a few years back and it took a good part of two years after surgery with physical therapy.
Answered on Nov 19, 2019