Stockbridge, GA

I swallowed plastic from a candy cane and it hurts to swallow and drink. will the doctor be able to get it out without open surgery ?

Doubt they would try: It is not unusual for foreign material to scrape or irritate the swallowing apparatus during ingestion. Most of these pass to the stomach and eventually through the gut without problems. Ingesting some stewed okra can drag & encapsulate any residual into the stomach/gut. If needed they could look at your esophagus with a scope, under sedation, but I doubt they would ever open you for this.

Last updated Dec 10, 2017