Aurora, CO

i'm 38 weeks pregnant. my dr. is aware that i struggle with addiction. he said he will test the baby when he is born, how long does meth stay in my babies system? and if i'm clean, does the dr have the right to test the baby.

Yes: If you consumed any drugs after 20 wks gestation the doc is likely to find evidence in babies system. Both you and baby are subject the child protection laws of the state. The doc is required by that law to act on any suspicion of drug exposure to protect that baby's life as a new citizen. If you have remained clean, no problem, if not, you must deal with it. Baby can also show drug withdrawal.

Last updated Jan 2, 2021