ZA

good afternoon, i ran a race yesterday and experienced a sharp pain under left rib. it didn't go away for about 5kms. ran this morning and that region was swollen and sore. the last month i've had more acid re-flux and the discomfort in diaphragm ?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Spasm: Sharp pain under the rib cage while exercising is consistent with spasm of the diaphragm. Sometimes massaging the area relieves some of the discomfort. Swelling of the region is not usual and if there is significant residual discomfort and tenderness, I recommend that you be examined by your physician and perhaps have an X-Ray of that part of the rib cage. Get help for GERD as well.
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 40 years experience
Needs evaluation : By your doctor, recurring symptoms in same spot related to exercise, may still be a chest wall/ muscle problem. The acid reflux may not be related, best wishes