Azle, TX

Just been dx with surgical cement allergy and am facing my 2nd tka revision w/ bone grafts (due to non displaced fx femur) what is alt to cement?

Dr. Corey Clay
Allergy and Immunology 11 years experience
No cement: Unfortunately, in cases of true allergy, there is higher risk of joint failure. Surgeons may be less familiar with alternate prostheses, or the alternatives may be lacking in durability or performance by another measure, so you want to confirm sensitization. Tests are not perfect and should be interpreted only by experienced specialists. Alternatives to cement include use of an uncemented knee
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery 34 years experience
Porous ingrowth: That's unfortunate! Bone ingrowth is an alternative to bone cement but a combination of bone graft , methylmethacylate( cement)and porous coated long - stem implants is likely during a revision total knee.Bone cement allergy is very uncommon in my experience.Best of Luck to you!
Last updated Nov 28, 2017