Salt Lake City, UT
A male asked:

i have had a pain in my luq just below my ribs for a while. it was kinda dull to start with but now it's radiating to left blade and getting worse?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
See doctor...: Since the pain is worsening and newly radiating to your left shoulder blade, it is time to see your doctor so you can get examined. Then, your doctor will likely order tests, like blood work, possibly ultrasound or CT scan, etc. in order to diagnose and treat you. If your pain becomes severe, go to the nearest ER. Good luck!
Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 39 years experience
LUQ anatomy: Anatomically, the left upper quadrant (luq) of abdomen includes: spleen, pancreatic tail, stomach, descending duodenum, splenic flexure of the colon, associated vessels. Don't forget the diaphragm, heart, and lower chest are pretty close by. The abdominal musculature, ribs, and skin can all contribute as well to localizing luq pain. Get him examined now please for clarity of diagnosis &treatment.

Last updated May 27, 2017