U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 55-year-old female asked:

Hello, i have an injury to my knee replacement. swelling, pain instability. from car accident 2 days ago. any thoughts on avoiding another surgery?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Andrew Hoffman
General Surgery 36 years experience
See your Orthopedist: Once a joint replacement is in, the bone is thin around that site. A smaller amount of trauma might crack (break) that thin bone. When you have continued pain after injury, go get more tests to see if that could have happened. The ER could do the test, but your "Bone Dr." should be consulted.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 25, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.