Do you need to be on a special diet if you have stage three kidney disease. and my blood pressure is fine with medication, but i am anemic.

Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 49 years experience
Anemia and stage 3: You don't need to be on a special diet with stage 3 chronic kidney disease. That will depend on your phosphorus level. What you do need is medicine (esa) to increase your hemoglobin (h). It's low as your body has no erythropoietin (e) so you are anemic. Esa injections will increase h and you will feel well. Due to a larger blood mass on esa, your BP goes up and you may need more meds for your bp.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jeremy Gitomer
30 years experience
Low sodium: Low sodium diets are essential to avoiding hypertension and may slow the loss of kidney function. A recent article suggests maintaining a low phosphorous level and there is data from the 1970's to support this. There a phosphorous restricted diet is reasonable as long as you are not already malnourished. Anemia is common with ckd. Check iron levels. Replace with oral or IV iron if low.