U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 16-year-old male asked:

can the removal of amalgam fillings cause mercury poisoning or headaches? thats what i have since i removed mine.

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ira Friedlander
Cardiac Electrophysiology 42 years experience
I am certain that: the dentist collected all of the materials that were removed. It is probably coincidental that you now have headaches. Take an over the counter analgesic as directed. You do not have mercury poisoning. If the headaches persist for 48 hours with analgesics then call your primary health care provider for evaluation. You might have sinus infection.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
No and perhaps yes: Removing amalgam fillings cannot cause mercury poisoning. If you have a headache, it more than likely you worrying about it rather than any direct relationship between removing the fillings and headaches. If the headaches persist see your primary care physician.
Dr. Christine Hom
Pediatrics 30 years experience
Mercury: The amount of mercury in a tooth filling is very small and should not cause poisoning. Many people had multiple mercury containing fillings with no apparent untoward effects. A study of children with mercury containing vs non mercury containing fillings in New England showed only that the mercury fillings were more durable. Removing the fillings would reduce exposure over time.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership

Similar questions

A 37-year-old member asked:

I'm pregnant and have food poisoning, should I go to the hospital?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Obstetrics and Gynecology 22 years experience
No: Although food poisoning can be miserable in general it will not hurt the fetus. Most cases can be managed at home and resolve in 24-48 hours. The key is to avoid dehydration. If you develop fever, have bloody diarrhea, have contractions or can not stay hydrated then yes you should be seen in the hospital.
A 21-year-old member asked:

My child has pandas. Should he have his tonsils removed?

2 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faustanswered
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 29 years experience
Uncertain: The nih does not recommend tonsillectomy for treatment of pandas; there is no clear evidence from clinical trials that it helps. On the other hand, there are many, many reports on sites like pandas foundation that tonsillectomy was the cure for their children. In my practice, I have seen some remarkable improvements following tonsillectomy, but again, these are "anecdotal". Ask your doc.
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox commented
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
if high antibody titters are part of your child's PANDA, I feel tonsillectomy is indicated to lessen the exposure to bacterial which live in the tonsils. However, once PANDAS has occurred, the immune system has already been stimulated.
Mar 4, 2012
A 21-year-old member asked:

Would it be considered important to remove old lice eggs from hair?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Francine Yep
Family Medicine 31 years experience
Yes!: Lots of work but totally worth it. After you treat your scalp with medicine, rub conditioner or olive oil into your hair. Use a nit comb or a sturdier flea comb for cats & dogs. Comb through hair every 2-3 days to remove nits and lice. It's important because the treatments don't kill all the lice. So nit-picking helps get rid of them & prevents a whole new crop from bugging you.
CA
A 21-year-old member asked:

How common is sepsis with food poisoning?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Pulmonary Critical Care 25 years experience
Not likely.: Most food poisoning is self limited. Some is not even caused by live bacteria, but by poisons from a bacteria. Sepsis can occur.
A 41-year-old member asked:

Will nasonex (mometasone) help remove my "allergic shiners" (circles under eyes)?

2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Allergy and Immunology 29 years experience
Possibly: Allergic shiners are the result of passive congestion of a venous plexus because of nasal congestion. Allergic shiners, while typical in allergy, are not always caused by allergy. If one is allergic then use of nasal steroid spray may be helpful to reduce them.

Related questions

A 36-year-old member asked:
4 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 20-year-old male asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old male asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership
Last updated Dec 9, 2020
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with
membership

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.