United Kingdom

can the removal of amalgam fillings cause mercury poisoning or headaches? thats what i have since i removed mine.

Dr. Ira Friedlander
Cardiac Electrophysiology 42 years experience
I am certain that: the dentist collected all of the materials that were removed. It is probably coincidental that you now have headaches. Take an over the counter analgesic as directed. You do not have mercury poisoning. If the headaches persist for 48 hours with analgesics then call your primary health care provider for evaluation. You might have sinus infection.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
No and perhaps yes: Removing amalgam fillings cannot cause mercury poisoning. If you have a headache, it more than likely you worrying about it rather than any direct relationship between removing the fillings and headaches. If the headaches persist see your primary care physician.
Dr. Christine Hom
Mercury: The amount of mercury in a tooth filling is very small and should not cause poisoning. Many people had multiple mercury containing fillings with no apparent untoward effects. A study of children with mercury containing vs non mercury containing fillings in New England showed only that the mercury fillings were more durable. Removing the fillings would reduce exposure over time.