What's involved in having mercury amalgam fillings removed ?

Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dentistry 25 years experience
Drilling them out: Removal of amalgam fillings increases your exposure to mercury vapor because they are drilled out. If you would like to reduce your exposure then ask the dentist to remove them while you are wearing a dental dam.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Tom Semans
Dentistry 39 years experience
Drilling it out: The removal of amalgam fillings involves the removal of the filling which will involve removing a very minimal amount of tooth structure. Amalgam fillings can be replaced with a composite resin filling material as long as the filling is not too large. If it a large amalgam filling, it is possible that you may need to have an inlay, only or crown placed.
Dr. Robert Fong
Dentistry 38 years experience
It's the same: My other colleagues have given very good answers to your question. I just wanted to let you know that what you experience during the process is not much different than getting any filling.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 35 years experience
Your Choice: Different methods available. You can choose an accredited dentist, member of the iabdm or iaomt. Take a look at their web sites- www.Iabdm.Org, www.Iaomt.Org - to find dentists, with additional training in safe removal of mercury, amalgam fillings by iaomt and iabdm . Accredited members of these international academies, follow their protocols. See consumers for dental choice- www.Toxicteeth.Org.
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Periodontics 44 years experience
I looked at the IAOMT site. I saw no peer reviewed articles. How come?
Jun 22, 2013
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 35 years experience
Provided original answer
Great question. Call Kim @ IAOMT.
Jun 22, 2013