I am in hospital w/a "gram+ bacillus" sepsis..6/8 blood culture bottles are +. Caused by a dirty cut then severe cellulitis. I have heart vegetation from it they say. Also on CellCept. Can you educate me on whats the significance of heart vegetation?

Dr. Mark Safford
34 years experience in Critical Care
Endocarditis. : What you describe is endocarditis. The vegetations harbor the bacteria that are identified when blood cultures are obtained. Sepsis, heart failure as well as "septic emboli" are potential complications 6 weeks of IV antibiotics followed by repeat blood cultures and follow up echocardiogram to insure treatment was adequate.
Answered on Apr 16, 2017
1