I have been taking depression medicine for years. i don't think it helps anymore. certain things send me into a deep depression for days. what should i?

7 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Justin Fuehrer answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

It may be time to increase your dose of your current medication or to potentially change your medication if it is no longer working. Because you say you are going into a deep depression for days, i would highly suggest seeing your physician as this is potentially serious and should be addressed as soon as possible.

Answered Oct 3, 2016

6.1k views

Dr. Asa Marokus answered

Specializes in Child Psychiatry

It sounds a form of depression that is called chronic, treatment-refractory depression. It's been going on for a very long time and you are clearly suffering. If you are able to see a psychiatrist for an evaluation, that would be my first recommendation. If you are already seeing one, then i would discuss. There are augmenting medications to help with antidepressants that aren't working.

Answered Jan 13, 2016

6.1k views