Signs of an infection after toenail avulsion?

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Many: Not typical to have infection but signs would be extreme reddness, a yellow discharge or even green. Swelling around the edge of the nail bed with redness or streaking up the toe or foot would be signs. Hot to touch would be indicative of infection too. If in doubt, see your pcp or surgeon. May need an antibiotic. May be doing fine and you just need some reassurance. Nail it down!

Answered 5/10/2019

5.2k views

Infection signs : Signs of infection include pain, expanding redness around the wound , warm to the touch and sometimes fever. If there is any concern on your part seek medical attention.

Answered 3/11/2020

5.2k views

Toenail infection: Signs of an infection after toenail avulsion are erythema (redness), edema (swelling) and pain with or without discharge. If the redness extends beyond the proximal nail fold you should return to your doctor for evaluation and probable antibiotic therapy.

Answered 3/11/2020

5.2k views