United Kingdom

hurt my toe at work a few weeks ago and my toe nail turned yellow. it is no longer attached to the base but is attached on the sides. will it fall of?

Dr. Fred Birnbaum
Podiatry 43 years experience
Subungual hematoma: This is a term which means blood accumulation under the nail. Usually from a minor trauma, but frequently seen in runners, it sometimes will bleed initially and the nail is raised off the nail bed. You can cut the nail short up to where it's still attached, or it may detach itself over time. It will grow back, sometimes thicker and discolored