U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old female asked:

Can taking calcium supplement (600 mg) cause kidney stones?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. James Lin
A Verified Doctoranswered
Urology 52 years experience
Not, but...: For average young healthy persons, calcium supplement is virtually unnecessary, but people buy and use it indiscriminately out of ignorance, anxiety, & fear, and a 600 mg of calcium would not incite stone formation except someone already being prone to develop urinary stone, i.e., genetic factor, for which we do not have scientific means to detect its strength. More? Ask experts timely.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Lin
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
It is nice of you to let HealthTap and its doctor know the answer was very helpful; they appreciate your kindness, thanks, and trust. To explore how to live a realistic long happy life, peruse articles for Life Reality in http://formefirst.com/onLifeBasics.html. Best wish to health and happiness,
Oct 30, 2016

Related questions

A 45-year-old member asked:
What do you suggest if my father has kidney stone, but I want to buy calcium supplements for him?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
Will taking supplemental calcium lead to more kidney stones?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
If i just got over kidney stones, can I still take calcium / magnesium citrate as a supplement ?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 30, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.