I am still so anxious about having pancreatic cancer. my lipase levels have fluctuated slightly over the past year - from 1 to 20 points over the reference range. i've had normal ultrasound and ct scan. dr seems to think it's just me. but why??

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Reference range: Reference range or normal values are derived by taking the central 95% of the levels in "healthy" people. Therefore, by definition, 5% of the "healthy" people have a level outside the reference range, without having any disease. Quit worrying about pancreatic cancer and your lipase level. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex.

Answered 11/2/2018

917 views

Dr. Clarence Grim answered

Specializes in Endocrinology

Lipase barely high: 33 F anxious re pancreatic CA. Notes lipase has fluctuated slightly 1 yr. 1 to 20 points over norm. US&CT scan OK. Dr seems to think it's just me. ANS: I agree with Dr. Norm means 95% of normals are in n range but 5% aren't. Suspect you are in the 2.5% upper. All lab tests can vary 10% day to day. So if ur reading is 200 then expect it to vary by 20. Recommend u worry about other things.

Answered 3/12/2020

917 views