Whats better for diagnosing pancreatic cancer? Ct scan or mri? 34yr male. I've had normal ultrasound and CT scan with contrast. Still worried.

Dr. J Roberts
Dr. J Roberts answered
26 years experience in Vascular Surgery
CT, ERCP, MRCP: Thin-slice (3 mm) ct abdomen yields fine detail of pancreatic structures... Blood tests including tumor markers: ca-19-9, ca-15-3, and CEA can alert the clinician for ca. Also, ERCP w/ ductal brushings (though its endoscopy) can search for malignancy. Finally, mrcp may add to the clinical picture, but 64-bit ct is slowly encroaching on the former's superiority.
Answered on Mar 12, 2020
1
2
43 years experience in Pathology
This is very good advice. I'm curious to know why a young man like yourself is this concerned. The disease is usually sporadic rather than familial, and when it is hereditary, there are usually abdominal troubles long beforehand. Good luck with your search; I hope the results are reassuring.
Apr 4, 2013