how long after you've had the flu is it safe to start exercising again? i've heard that exercising while you have the flu is dangerous and can damage your heart, so when is it safe to start exercising again after your flu symptoms are gone?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Frank Holmes
22 years experience Sports Medicine
Recovery parameters: You may begin exercising again when you have no fever, minimal fatigue, improved cough, no shortness of breath and minimal muscle aches. When you start exercising, begin gradually with shorter durations and less intensity. If I can be of future help, then join my care team at www.healthtap.com/dr-clarkeholmes
Answered on Aug 17, 2017
2
48 years experience Pathology
No fever: Agree with the suggestion by Dr. Holmes. You may begin exercise when you no longer have fever. Start with low intensity exercise. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex.
Answered on Aug 17, 2017
1