Milwaukee, WI

i sprained my ankle, the doctor said i dudn't need crutch or a brace but it hurts so bad. what should i do?

Dr.
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Rest/Strap/Elevate: Rest / Ice/ Compress/ Elevate 24 hrs If you can continue to weight bear without much pain, the chances are it is a simple sprain. if you find that you are not able to put weight on it after 48-72 hrs, you may need an X Ray to rule out an avulsion fracture, which is when a tiny flake of bone can get pulled off with the ligament during a sprain as well. Try and obtain a walking stick or crutches
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Reevaluation: Presumably you had an X-ray to make sure you did not have a fracture? Even if not fractured, some sprains can be severe enough to require crutches and/or immobilization. Don't hesitate to followup or seek a second opinion if you are having a lot of trouble with it.