i sprained my ankle almost a year ago never went to a doctor. if i dont wear my brace it tries to collapse or hurts to walk. any reason to this?

Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
And sprain: You need X-ray and orthopedic exam. You may have fracture, ligament or tendon injury, loose body, etc. you may also have chronic weakness secondary to chronic brace wear.
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry 14 years experience
See a Physician: If self guided conservative treatment has failed to produce improvement in symptoms it is time to seek the assistance of a Podiatric Surgeon who can accurately diagnose the problem, rule out any other possible underlying sources of the pain, and guide the next phase of treatment whether it be a more aggressive conservative plan or surgical intervention.

Last updated Aug 19, 2014